In late 2000 the economic development managers of the region began a process to develop a projects-based economic strategy for Melbourne ’s South East. The strategy partners included:-
- the municipalities of Bayside, Cardinia, Casey, Frankston, Greater Dandenong, Kingston , Knox, Maroondah, Monash, Mornington Peninsula and Whitehorse .
- the utility providers, Alinta, South East Water and Telstra;
- the Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development;
- the Commonwealth Department of Transport and Regional Services, via the Melbourne Development Board.
The partnership reflected a broadly held view that the economy of Melbourne ’s South East required a unified regional approach, in order to undertake a comprehensive assessment of issues and challenges, and identify emerging opportunities to deliver sustainable growth and prosperity.
1.2 Purpose of the Strategy
The purpose of the Economic Strategy is threefold:-
- to enhance the level of collaboration between government, business, educational institutions and the private sector;
- to develop a framework to guide regional economic decision making;
- to identify and commence delivery of a set of projects directed to facilitating positive economic change.
1.3 Purpose of the Report
The Report sets out:-
- the objectives and bases of the Economic Strategy for Melbourne ’s South East;
- principles and key elements of the Strategy;
- identified regional projects;
- an implementation framework;
- next steps in the development and delivery of the Strategy.